Friday, September 21, 2007

Liverpool vs Birmingham: What will Rafa do?

Well, we went from arguably the easiest match to predict so far this season, to quite possibly the hardest league fixture so far. Wait until our Cup ties start, then it gets next to impossible to guess what Rafa the Mad Tinkerer will come up with.

There are a lot of outside factors to consider this week, especially at right midfield. It's Yom Kippur so that may rule out Benayoun. Jermaine Pennant's reckless performance at Porto may also see him starting from the bench. Also, with the Carling Cup tie coming up against Reading next Tuesday and Rafa apparently taking it more seriously this time around, you wonder who he'll reserve. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerrard start on the right with Sissoko and Mascherano in the middle. It also wouldn't shock me to see Riise or Aurelio start on the left and Babel start on the right.

In other words, I have no clue what Rafa is going to do. Since it is a 'lesser' side, I hope he goes balls out and that doesn't mean bringing in any Reserves, but I don't really consider Sebastian Leto nor Lucas as full-time Reserves like I do say Robbie Threlfall or Ray Putterill. No offense to those two as they have both showed promise when given the opportunity, they just aren't as ready as the aforementioned pair. Once again, I would love to know what is up with Harry Kewell, having him fit for this match would be a huge boost. Ultimately, I'm looking for Rafa to take some risks here. As his squads have gotten deeper, he's gotten more predictable and I believe that's taken off some of the edge.

GK - Reina
If he's fit, he plays, and as far as I know, he's fine.

LB - Riise
He's back and he could start at left-mid with Aurelio here, but I think Rafa will want him to take it easy after coming back from a groin pull.

CB - Carragher
We need him to stay as healthy as possible.

CB - Arbeloa
Younger than Hyypia and though he could use a day off, I just don't see it happening here.

RB - Finnan
When's he fit, he'll play.

LM - Aurelio
I think Rafa goes defensive here, but that's using logic.

CM - Sissoko
Is back and after Masche's performance at Porto, the Argentine needs a day off.

CM - Gerrard
When he's fit and rested, he'll play.

RM - Benayoun or Babel
I don't see Pennant starting here only because his recent rash play and the fact that he used to play for Birmingham. I can see him making some bad decisions on and off the ball. Benayoun will start if Yom Kippur doesn't conflict, if not it will probably be Babel.

F - Voronin
I think Rafa will look to allow the Ukrainian to redeem himself for Portsmouth.

F - Torres
Torres will stay on until the three points are secured and then look for Crouch to get some pitch time

Bench:
Itandje
Mascherano
Hyypia
Babel or Leto (it depends whether or not Benayoun is available to play)
Crouch

I have no confidence that Rafa's selection will be the same, but that's pretty much who I would play. Cheers.

No comments:

Popular Posts