Friday, November 23, 2007

Liverpool at Newcastle: What will Rafa do?


Finally, the exhibition matches have commenced for a while and we can get back to football that matters. Last year's trip to St. James Park was a comedy of errors played in a virtual swamp and I'm hoping we don't see a repeat of that tomorrow. The good news is that we should have a fully fit Fernando Torres and possibly Daniel Agger as well. I'd be somewhat surprised if Agger started, but then again, Hyppiä played for Finland on Wednesday, so it's not as if the most-likely fatigued Finn would be the better choice here. There's a chance that Benayoun might be available as well as he is recovering from a groin injury, though Xabi is definitely still out.

A lot of our players played either Tuesday or Wednesday in international competition, so I think it's safe to say those who didn't will probably start, which means Carra, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Kewell, Torres, and Sissoko should be out there from the onset tomorrow. I would like to see Lucas start as well, but given it's away from Anfield against a semi-formidable opponent, I doubt he will. The rest of the squad really depends on the fitness of others. I think Kuyt will start up front with Torres, only because he played just the second half in the Netherland's loss to Belarus. From the looks of the result, he along with the rest of the side probably didn't try too hard.

Anyhow, here's my guess:
Reina
Aurelio
Carra
Agger
Arbeloa
Kewell
Sissoko
Mascherano
Gerrard
Kuyt
Torres

Bench:
Martin (or Itandje)
Babel
Lucas
Hyypiä
Finnan

I would love to see Finnan start at right wing, but since Rafa hasn't done that in a long time, I can't see him pulling it out of nowhere and doing it here. I feel Sissoko will be the key, if he plays well, we'll win. If he doesn't it may be the beginning of his exodus. We are lucky to have seven well-rested players and we should definitely need it. St. James Park hasn't been nice to us over the years and I have a feeling that won't end tomorrow, even though I would for our boys to stick to 'Big' Sam Allardyce. Cheers.

No comments:

Popular Posts