It's been quite an entertaining half, at least between the boxes. Both sides seem to have had great build-ups in possession, but in so, neither seem to be able to create solid chances in the opposition's box. All the potential goals and the solo goal have come on the counter.
Spurs dominated possession the first third of the match, but then Liverpool started to take control. During Tottenham's seeming domination, the only goal came about on a tremendous effort by Henderson, who intercepted the initial ball and passed to Sturridge. Studge, who isn't having the best of afternoons, played the ball into a streaking Henderson, who found Sterling brilliantly on a cross box pass. Sterling slotted it in, leaving Spurs defence wondering what had just happened.
The quickness of the scoring string was indicative of Liverpool's play so far. They set a precedent on pace and Spurs are struggling to keep it up. If they want to play our style, we should be able to add a couple of more goals in the second. If they slow it down, well, as long they cover the counter, this match is probably over as they are having trouble breaking the box playing that way.
As for individual performance, Sterling and Henderson are the cream of a rather mediocre crop. Balotelli has played well, but he really should have a goal with chances like his header gone wide on the Gerrard free kick and that open goal when Lloris straggled out of the box. Speaking of Gerrard, he's had a very up-and-down match, more down though, if he can calm down it will greatly increase our chances of three points. On ward and (hopefully) upward...
Sunday, August 31, 2014
Tottenham 0, Liverpool 1: thoughts on the 'fast' break
Labels:
BPL,
English Premier League,
EPL,
LFC,
Liverpool,
liverpool fc,
Premier League,
Premiership,
Spurs,
Tottenham,
Tottenham FC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I've written about his German teammate, Max Kruse, already, but Borussia Möchengladbach's other offensive weapon, Brazilian forward...
-
I'm pretty bored, so I thought I'd throw my irrelevant two cents into the mix. Here's who I think were the world's best XI ...
-
Nathaniel Clyne gets no respect. The 23-year-old right back put up some solid attacking numbers last season and was more of a catalyst in t...
-
...mainly because I've been computer-less for about a week now. Which is also the reason for my lack of updates. I apologize, but hey,...
-
Until about five minutes to go, Liverpool were by far the better side. One error then the walls come crumbling down and that was our proble...
-
The Ginger Prince appears obsessed with the Reds these days, sounding off on our players whenever he can. I would say he's a wind-up mu...
-
Since Napoli have admitted they won't be able to pay Pepe Reina to stay, he may be sold to Arsenal at a discount of £5m. I think most...
-
Adam Lallana will miss the start of the season due to injury suffered in training today. The thing I'm most disappointed about is havi...
-
Despite being 'pre-season' and meaningless, last night's match exposed our need for another striker. Waiting for the magical bo...
-
Though it appears Lazar Markovic is a likely signing, others who were once possibly on our radar are gone or slowly disappearing. Of the fo...
No comments:
Post a Comment