It looks as if it's official. Yossi Benayoun is now a member of the Liverpool Football Club. If he's beaten out Ryan Babel as the second signing of the off-season has yet to be determined, but it appears so.
I think he's a great pick up. He's creative, versatile, and has proven he can take the beatings of the Premiership doing so the last two seasons at West Ham. What kind of playing time he'll get though might be less up to him and more up to the performances and health of his competition in the midfield.
The Hammers primarily used him on the right, but I doubt he'll be able to take that spot from Jermaine Pennant. JP was dazzling at times last year and put in a good performance in Liverpool's opening pre-season match with Wrexham. On the left, if all goes as planned, Kewell and Ryan Babel will be splitting time. Though Benayoun has a chance to play at that spot, the competition will be fierce as King Harry will try to redeem himself of two years in the physio room and Babel will looking to prove his transfer worth. Save unforeseen consequences which would put Gerrard and Alonso out, chances of him playing in the middle are scarce.
In regards to injury, he might become invaluable, but it's pretty certain that he'll get plenty of pitch if he can carry the team past the early stages of domestic cups. Whatever happens, at least now we have added depth and quality to our side.
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Benayoun on board
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I've written about his German teammate, Max Kruse, already, but Borussia Möchengladbach's other offensive weapon, Brazilian forward...
-
I'm pretty bored, so I thought I'd throw my irrelevant two cents into the mix. Here's who I think were the world's best XI ...
-
Nathaniel Clyne gets no respect. The 23-year-old right back put up some solid attacking numbers last season and was more of a catalyst in t...
-
...mainly because I've been computer-less for about a week now. Which is also the reason for my lack of updates. I apologize, but hey,...
-
Until about five minutes to go, Liverpool were by far the better side. One error then the walls come crumbling down and that was our proble...
-
The Ginger Prince appears obsessed with the Reds these days, sounding off on our players whenever he can. I would say he's a wind-up mu...
-
Since Napoli have admitted they won't be able to pay Pepe Reina to stay, he may be sold to Arsenal at a discount of £5m. I think most...
-
Adam Lallana will miss the start of the season due to injury suffered in training today. The thing I'm most disappointed about is havi...
-
Despite being 'pre-season' and meaningless, last night's match exposed our need for another striker. Waiting for the magical bo...
-
Though it appears Lazar Markovic is a likely signing, others who were once possibly on our radar are gone or slowly disappearing. Of the fo...
No comments:
Post a Comment