If I've ever watched back-to-back Liverpool matches that were exact opposite affairs, I can't recall. Where we dominated the Reading match yet loss, Marseilles was technically the better side today, yet had no chance to win. Where our side was most impressive today was essentially the deciding factor. The closer the French side got to our box, the better our defense became and our counter was quick and deadly, which only added to l'OM's worries.
It was vital that we got two goals in the opening eleven minutes and were able to assert control by letting Marseilles expend energy on attack. I'm sure we'll hear bullocks on the penalty from Gerrard-haters, but the l'OM defender shouldn't have went for the tackle when he was already beat. It was a brilliant Kewell ball that sent our captain through and lead to the call which ended up being just a preview of what the Aussie was to offer our side.
About eight minutes later the Socceroo set up Torres, who twisted and turned his way to a smooth finish into the opposite end of the goal. At that point we were able to play back and tease the opposition, all the while being able to threaten on the counter. Though I can't admit to thinking we had it sealed, it was hard to imagine Marseilles outwitting Hyypiä, who was once again at the top of his game.
I kind of think Gerets panicked by making his third and final sub at the beginning of the second half, bringing on Cissé in what I'm assuming was intended to be an inspirational move. If it was the sentiment, it was crushed minutes later when Kewell once again came through, setting up Kuyt with a clever curling pass in the box off a rebound. The Dutchman caught, controlled, and finished to perfection, in essence ending the match by making it a three goal margin.
From that point forward, the Ligue 1 club would have needed six crazy minutes reminiscent of Istanbul to get back into the match. Just for good measure, Babel added a fourth in the closing minutes, when he beat the then worn Marseilles defense and netted his sixth career goal for Liverpool.
Overall it didn't feel as dominate as the final tally, but anytime my captain, the kid, and the new John Barnes score, it's been a good night. I will admit to being disappointed in the French crowd though. Being of such descent, I was embarrassed over their actions, especially the throwing of cigarette lighters. Anyhow, player grades tomorrow, but my man of the match was Kewell. Cheers.
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Liverpool 4, Marseilles 0: a most uncanny affair
Labels:
Champions League,
Harry Kewell,
LFC,
Liverpool,
liverpool fc,
Marseilles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I've written about his German teammate, Max Kruse, already, but Borussia Möchengladbach's other offensive weapon, Brazilian forward...
-
...mainly because I've been computer-less for about a week now. Which is also the reason for my lack of updates. I apologize, but hey,...
-
I'm pretty bored, so I thought I'd throw my irrelevant two cents into the mix. Here's who I think were the world's best XI ...
-
In the 22 seasons of Premier League history, 11 times the previous season second-place finisher has won the league. For those of you who ar...
-
Adam Lallana will miss the start of the season due to injury suffered in training today. The thing I'm most disappointed about is havi...
-
Until about five minutes to go, Liverpool were by far the better side. One error then the walls come crumbling down and that was our proble...
-
Though it appears Lazar Markovic is a likely signing, others who were once possibly on our radar are gone or slowly disappearing. Of the fo...
-
To knock Beckham off his perch and become the top capped outfield player in Three Lions history. That's it, two more matches and he shou...
-
Ha ha ha. I know Platini and UEFA have it in for us after we made them look like complete amateur donkeys at the final last year, but you c...
-
Players must have played at least 300 minutes to qualify. Efficiency ratings are how likely a positive outcome will occur while that player...
No comments:
Post a Comment