1 - Sterling can put on a Suarez-esque performance and make it meant something. Our pint-sized powerhouse notched home the opening goal on a scintillating pass from Hendo and then got the game-winning assist on a header on to our poacher extraordinaire, the Studge. Of all the goals and assists Suarez had last year, 31 and 12 just in case you forgot, only one assist gave Liverpool 3 points. It took Sterling just one match to equal that this season.
2 - Sterling can put on a Suarez-esque performance, but that's not always a good thing. His true turnover index was 17, which is about what his former teammate averaged per 90 minutes last season, but nobody cares as long as you produce goals. The thing is Sterling is a better passer and he's 19.
3 - Speaking of cloaking a poor overall performance with a flash of brilliance, Jordan Henderson completed just 78% of his passes today (He's a career 83% passer and posted a career best 87.1% last season), was 0 for 2 on crosses, 2 of 6 on long balls, had 2 shots though none on-target, and was dispossessed 3 times. That assist though and his tackling were enough to keep him off the shortlist for the Golden Rubbish Bin.
4 - Gerrard hasn't lost a step. Our captain had a tackle, an interception, two clearances, created a chance, completed 89% of his passing, and was successful on 10 of 13 long balls. Without him playing back, we would have probably allowed more goals. Once again he proved his commitment and sacrifice to his club are unparalleled.
5 - Mignolet can be boss. Let's hope he wants to be for 37 more league matches. The save on Ward-Prowse's free kick and the tip that sent Pelle's shot off the post were simply class. He did surprisingly well on set-pieces and corners as well, even though he seemed shaky at times.
6 - Manquillo is a bad ass. His first Prem match and he commanded the right side of pitch like a ten year veteran. He recorded 6 tackles, 5 clearances, 4 interceptions, a blocked shot, and completed 86% of his passes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I've written about his German teammate, Max Kruse, already, but Borussia Möchengladbach's other offensive weapon, Brazilian forward...
-
I'm pretty bored, so I thought I'd throw my irrelevant two cents into the mix. Here's who I think were the world's best XI ...
-
...mainly because I've been computer-less for about a week now. Which is also the reason for my lack of updates. I apologize, but hey,...
-
Nathaniel Clyne gets no respect. The 23-year-old right back put up some solid attacking numbers last season and was more of a catalyst in t...
-
I don't understand why so many Liverpool fans are against signing Eto'o on a free. The arguments of his 'loss of pace' are ...
-
Adam Lallana will miss the start of the season due to injury suffered in training today. The thing I'm most disappointed about is havi...
-
Despite being 'pre-season' and meaningless, last night's match exposed our need for another striker. Waiting for the magical bo...
-
Will Suarez succeed at Barca? Yes, he is a footballing genius. Yes, Messi and Neymar will play nice and share the ball. No, Messi and N...
-
Since Napoli have admitted they won't be able to pay Pepe Reina to stay, he may be sold to Arsenal at a discount of £5m. I think most...
-
In the 22 seasons of Premier League history, 11 times the previous season second-place finisher has won the league. For those of you who ar...
No comments:
Post a Comment