The first match I get to watch live in nearly two weeks and it does nothing for my confidence in this side. In fact it confirms any doubts that we are a second rate European side. It's not that Real Madrid dominated, because they didn't, but they clearly have the next level of talent that we lack. We had no answer for Rodriquez, Roos, and of course, Ronaldo, as they easily moved the ball downfield, creating opportunity after opportunity.
There was nothing to be done about the first goal and if Rodriguez and Ronaldo continue to develop that kind of on-field telepathy, the Champions League is their oyster. The second goal was clearly a fluke as Benzema will try to claim he meant to bloop it in the net like that, but his overall and past performances are clear indications he benefits greatly from having world class teammates. The overrated Frenchman did little else, but make bad decisions on the ball and was gifted the third goal as our defence showed it's true 'lack of communication' colors once again.
It's not that Stevie-G and company put in a bad performance, but they were clearly over-whelmed by a much more talented side. Some of the usual problems we've had this season on attack were even more exposed by the quicker Madridistas. When we weren't being painfully predictable on the ball, making errant passing, not creating space nor finding it, they were taking the ball from us with ease. It became almost a comical affair towards the end, as if we were a school boy side given a once-in-a-million shot at one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Unfortunately this wasn't a movie and in reality, the school boy side loses no matter how valiant they fight.
I don't really have time to get into individual player performances, but I will say that Coutinho and Gerrard were the best of the bunch. The Brazilian and our captain played their hardest, but weren't going to take down the Spanish giants by themselves. The worst were Balotelli and Glen Johnson, who appeared to return to his turnover prone ways. The Italian just has no heart, no determination, is easily deterred, and lacks chemistry with his teammates. Seems like a matter of time before rumours of his transfer in January take fruition, especially if we can line-up a replacement or possibly two.
I was not able to watch the full matches against West Brom nor QPR, but from highlights and statistics, they weren't impressive wins. Since neither side is top ten material, it should be alarming. I'm not one of those 'hey, three points is three points people', especially against clubs we should dominate if we have dreams of returning to Champions League next season. Our side isn't in trouble, but we can forget about winning anything, we just aren't good enough.
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Liverpool 0, Real Madrid 3: A reality check
Labels:
Champions League,
LFC,
Liverpool,
liverpool fc,
Real Madrid
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I've written about his German teammate, Max Kruse, already, but Borussia Möchengladbach's other offensive weapon, Brazilian forward...
-
I'm pretty bored, so I thought I'd throw my irrelevant two cents into the mix. Here's who I think were the world's best XI ...
-
Nathaniel Clyne gets no respect. The 23-year-old right back put up some solid attacking numbers last season and was more of a catalyst in t...
-
...mainly because I've been computer-less for about a week now. Which is also the reason for my lack of updates. I apologize, but hey,...
-
Until about five minutes to go, Liverpool were by far the better side. One error then the walls come crumbling down and that was our proble...
-
The Ginger Prince appears obsessed with the Reds these days, sounding off on our players whenever he can. I would say he's a wind-up mu...
-
Since Napoli have admitted they won't be able to pay Pepe Reina to stay, he may be sold to Arsenal at a discount of £5m. I think most...
-
Adam Lallana will miss the start of the season due to injury suffered in training today. The thing I'm most disappointed about is havi...
-
Despite being 'pre-season' and meaningless, last night's match exposed our need for another striker. Waiting for the magical bo...
-
Though it appears Lazar Markovic is a likely signing, others who were once possibly on our radar are gone or slowly disappearing. Of the fo...
2 comments:
You're clearly a plonker.
yes, yes I am.
Post a Comment