Monday, October 1, 2007

Should Harry Kewell get a contract extension?

Word out of Anfield is Harry Kewell (Remember him?) is looking to stay on a couple of more years after his contract expires. The 29-year-old Aussie played a total of 77 minutes last year and has yet to hit the pitch this season. Rafa has warned Kewell that he must prove his fitness before contract talks will commence.

I can't say enough that I'm a huge Harry Kewell fan and want to see him fit and in a Liverpool kit as soon as possible, but if he's going to continue to be a waste of money, I don't see why they should keep him. I'm not accusing him of anything, but I find it odd and a bit disheartening that he's always fit for Australia when the Socceroos come a calling. I hope he didn't play hurt for his country this past summer in the Asia Cup.

We need Kewell. He adds depth to the flanks and at forward. Most of all he brings flare and creativity to the squad. When he's on, he's a brilliant addition to the side. Even when he's off, he's smart enough to know that and tries to contribute in other ways.

Seeing Kewell in another team's shirt next year, especially a Premiership side, would be crushing. I don't know why he's having trouble gaining fitness, but I hope he gets better and back soon. Just in case you forgot how good the Aussie is, here's a video to remind you. (Why is it that most of Kewell's videos has questionable music? He's a cursed man, I tell ya.)

No comments:

Popular Posts