Ha ha ha, what a joke. Somebody got their fix on. Not to take anything away from Marseilles, but it took a wonder goal, three non-called handballs, and two very questionable yellow cards to beat us. Not to mention Crouch might as well have been wearing blue.
As a team we made some vast improvements in the second half and were really unlucky not to score. Well, I take that back, we were unlucky that Marseilles was allowed to use their hands in the box. Ridiculous, but oh well, we expect others to cheat against us, it's usually the only way we get beat in Champions League play.
The yellow cards on Carra and Gerrard were just ridiculous. Gerrard clearly got to the ball prior to contact and if it was for the viciousness of the tackle, I'm so sorry that he couldn't stop himself from sliding on the wet pitch. As for Carra, he was turning to go for the ball and obstructed the path of the Marseilles player. Foul? Yes. Yellow card? Not even close. Those cards took Stevie-G and Carragher off their game because now they had to be cautious just in case the official wanted to give them a second yellow for another minor infraction. Money well spent.
Crouch was horrid. He knows that he's a forward and not a midfielder, so why was he sitting out of position for most of the match? He knows he can't outrun anyone and isn't quick-footed, so why is he holding on to the ball? He's no candidate for Mensa, but he's not that dumb. Put him in the reserves, Rafa. The only thing he was working hard to do was throw the match.
Sissoko put on a baffling display as well. It seems he's returned to his make a great stop or tackle and then throw the ball away routine. Mascherano should have been brought in for him, but maybe in the end it will be better for Momo's confidence.
As for the rest of the team, like I said, we played much better in the second half, almost on cue. We used more of the field, we stopped trying the long ball to Torres so much, our passing overall got better, and we actually tried to make things happen. We were just unlucky not to put the ball in the net.
In the end, I'm sort of glad we lost. Maybe now we'll get off our asses early in matches and try to score instead of waiting around for something to happen. We need to take more risks. We have the talent to score, so why not risk a quick counter goal. They way we played today is not going to scare anyone, all their going to do is sit ten men behind the ball and dare us to do something different.
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Liverpool 0, Marseilles 1
Labels:
Champions League,
Crouch,
LFC,
Liverpool,
liverpool fc,
Marseilles,
Mascherano,
Sissoko,
Torres
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I'm pretty bored, so I thought I'd throw my irrelevant two cents into the mix. Here's who I think were the world's best XI ...
-
Nathaniel Clyne gets no respect. The 23-year-old right back put up some solid attacking numbers last season and was more of a catalyst in t...
-
I've written about his German teammate, Max Kruse, already, but Borussia Möchengladbach's other offensive weapon, Brazilian forward...
-
...mainly because I've been computer-less for about a week now. Which is also the reason for my lack of updates. I apologize, but hey,...
-
Adam Lallana will miss the start of the season due to injury suffered in training today. The thing I'm most disappointed about is havi...
-
With the Lovren deal apparently on the rocks, Caulker off the table, and little other prospects in the wind, how about an inexpensive, Premi...
-
I don't understand why so many Liverpool fans are against signing Eto'o on a free. The arguments of his 'loss of pace' are ...
-
Despite being 'pre-season' and meaningless, last night's match exposed our need for another striker. Waiting for the magical bo...
-
If reports are true and we have captured 22-year-old left back Alberto Moreno from Sevilla for £12m, Ian Ayre has outdone himself because t...
-
Will Suarez succeed at Barca? Yes, he is a footballing genius. Yes, Messi and Neymar will play nice and share the ball. No, Messi and N...
No comments:
Post a Comment