I didn't really expect anyone to be paying us any attention in the Champions League at least until after the Group Stage, but apparently we're causing Real Madrid's Bernd Schuster a little anxiety, which is surprising seeing how well his squad has started this season. In this article, the former German International has this to say about our side:"Liverpool is not so attractive in it's game; it is an ugly team to play, hard and difficult. It is not necessary to remind people how tough they made it for Barcelona last season."
Though most newspapers are trying to play this up as Schuster talking a little smack, it looks as if they're just trying to sell papers. I think all he's saying is that we are great defensively and unpredictable on attack as much can be lost or added in translation.
The thing that baffles me is how he says that Man U has the best attack and Chelsea have the best defense. Has he watched either of these sides play this season? I have no doubts that a fully fit Man U squad with Rooney, Giggs, Ronaldo, and Scholes firing on all cylinders are certainly a formidable attack, but Rooney's injured, Giggs and Scholes look a year older, and I guess we'll have to wait and see what post-suspension Ronaldo looks like. Nani and Tevez have been competent, but also look like two new players struggling to build chemistry with their new teammates.
As for Chelsea's defense, they are certainly capable of being an impenetrable fortress, but allowing two goals against Birmingham at Stamford Bridge and the two goals they allowed against Aston Villa this past weekend make them far from impressive nor in top form. I honestly think they should have never gotten rid of Diarra, but apparently that was unavoidable, and Alex has been far less impressive than he was at PSV last year.
Ultimately, if we can stay fit and maintain our current form, then sure, Schuster does have something to worry about, but to come out now and voice his concerns just doesn't make much sense.
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
Bernd Schuster already worried about drawing Liverpool in CL play
Labels:
Bernd Schuster,
Champions League,
Chelsea,
Cristiano Ronaldo,
LFC,
Liverpool,
liverpool fc,
Man U,
Manchester United,
Real Madrid,
Ryan Giggs,
Wayne Rooney
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I've written about his German teammate, Max Kruse, already, but Borussia Möchengladbach's other offensive weapon, Brazilian forward...
-
I'm pretty bored, so I thought I'd throw my irrelevant two cents into the mix. Here's who I think were the world's best XI ...
-
Nathaniel Clyne gets no respect. The 23-year-old right back put up some solid attacking numbers last season and was more of a catalyst in t...
-
...mainly because I've been computer-less for about a week now. Which is also the reason for my lack of updates. I apologize, but hey,...
-
Until about five minutes to go, Liverpool were by far the better side. One error then the walls come crumbling down and that was our proble...
-
The Ginger Prince appears obsessed with the Reds these days, sounding off on our players whenever he can. I would say he's a wind-up mu...
-
Since Napoli have admitted they won't be able to pay Pepe Reina to stay, he may be sold to Arsenal at a discount of £5m. I think most...
-
Adam Lallana will miss the start of the season due to injury suffered in training today. The thing I'm most disappointed about is havi...
-
Despite being 'pre-season' and meaningless, last night's match exposed our need for another striker. Waiting for the magical bo...
-
Though it appears Lazar Markovic is a likely signing, others who were once possibly on our radar are gone or slowly disappearing. Of the fo...
No comments:
Post a Comment