Scottish International and Derby County left-back, James McEveley, had some interesting words about his side's 6-0 annihilation at Anfield last Saturday. Here's what he had to say:"I think we gave Liverpool too much respect. We didn't get in their faces, we were standing back in awe of some of the players as opposed to going out and saying, 'It's me against you and you are not going to beat me'."
That's quite a revisionist's excuse since I think most people who watched that match would think different. In fact, I'd be hard pressed not to say that McEveley's side were quite physical and challenged us on every goal save Xabi's first one which was without a doubt a fluke. The rest of the goals were clear indications of our superior size, speed, and football instincts. If they had tried to be more physical, we would have just used our prevailing pace and skill to administer a similar beat-down, probably allowing them to pick up some cards and run themselves ragged in the process.
If Derby County's idea of too much respect is cleat stomping on one of our players while they are down, what are they going to do next? Wear brass knuckles and punch opponents in their Charlie Browns? I'm just glad we were on the winning side of this match as I have a feeling the Rams won't make the same mistakes, that is trying to play with a better squad instead of trying to dictate the pace of the match, when they go to Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford.
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
McEveley: We gave Liverpool too much respect
Labels:
Derby County,
James McEveley,
LFC,
Liverpool,
liverpool fc,
Xabi Alonso
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I've written about his German teammate, Max Kruse, already, but Borussia Möchengladbach's other offensive weapon, Brazilian forward...
-
I'm pretty bored, so I thought I'd throw my irrelevant two cents into the mix. Here's who I think were the world's best XI ...
-
Nathaniel Clyne gets no respect. The 23-year-old right back put up some solid attacking numbers last season and was more of a catalyst in t...
-
...mainly because I've been computer-less for about a week now. Which is also the reason for my lack of updates. I apologize, but hey,...
-
Until about five minutes to go, Liverpool were by far the better side. One error then the walls come crumbling down and that was our proble...
-
The Ginger Prince appears obsessed with the Reds these days, sounding off on our players whenever he can. I would say he's a wind-up mu...
-
Since Napoli have admitted they won't be able to pay Pepe Reina to stay, he may be sold to Arsenal at a discount of £5m. I think most...
-
Adam Lallana will miss the start of the season due to injury suffered in training today. The thing I'm most disappointed about is havi...
-
Despite being 'pre-season' and meaningless, last night's match exposed our need for another striker. Waiting for the magical bo...
-
Though it appears Lazar Markovic is a likely signing, others who were once possibly on our radar are gone or slowly disappearing. Of the fo...
No comments:
Post a Comment